Scroll down past the schedule for photos and info on our locations within Nicaragua.
Nicaragua // Surf Coaching, Yoga, and Adventure Retreat
availability: FULLY BOOKED PRIVATE GROUP!
about: Northern Nicaraguan Retreat Info
level: All Levels
price: $1900, all inclusive.
>> Email firstname.lastname@example.org for availability and to reserve your spot! >>
Nicaragua is my favorite place on the planet, and statistically the safest country in Central America. With warm water, super fun surf for all levels, friendly locals, and located a relatively short flight away from the US, it’s the perfect place for a week-long escape. There are great waves to learn to stand up on a surfboard for the first time or get the barrel of your dreams.
Escape reality for a week of unforgettable adventure!
It all starts with surfing
Whether you are ready to catch your very first wave, become more confident in the water, transition to riding a shortboard, or improve your existing skills while making new surfing friends, we will help you achieve your goals. There are great waves for beginners, advanced beginners, intermediate, and experienced surfers, mostly within walking distance of our various locations. Getting you into the best waves is our top priority. If you are willing to think positively, push yourself, and listen to feedback you will leave the retreat a better surfer!
After surfing, we’ll do yoga
Yoga is so good for your body and mind. After a morning at the beach and an awesome meal (second breakfast!), we’ll head to the yoga studio to stretch out and relax. Yoga is a great way for surfers to work on core strength, flexibility, balance, and breathing but since you’ll be getting plenty of exercise in the water, our programs focus on restorative yoga. The goal of our classes is to have you feeling stretched, supported, and rejuvenated, ready for the next adventure.
Our retreats put surfing as the first priority and the days are scheduled around getting you into the best conditions considering swell, tide, and wind. At some locations (south and central) we will do multiple shorter sessions per day. In the North, the wind typically turns onshore (not as ideal for surfing) in the afternoon so we usually focus our energy on one very long morning in the surf and leave the afternoons for other adventures. At all the locations we will fit in time for various adventures to supplement your surf time. We’ll hop on horseback and gallop down the beach, take a day-trip to the colonial city of Leon and hike up, then board down an active volcano (North), explore the historic city of Granada (Central), or head to San Juan Del Sur (South) and go ziplining, have a girls night out and get dressed up and indulge in incredible French food at a hilltop restaurant with a 360 degree view.
The difference between Surf with Amigas and other women’s surf and yoga retreats is attitude and experience. Unlike other places where the instructors are barely intermediate surfers themselves, when you stay with us you will be coached and supported by the SWA team – developed and trained by professional surfer, Holly Beck. We video every session and go over the footage so that you can see what you’re doing right and what little changes might help you really improve.
We also create a culture of support. The other girls will become your new surfing sisters, yelling and cheering and clapping and dancing in celebration of your awesome rides. You just don’t get that quite the same anywhere else. Read our reviews on TripAdvisor for evidence!
We have four Nicaragua locations available, however our primary location (home of 50% of our retreats) is in Northern Nicaragua, our other options include Southern Nicaragua, Central Nicaragua, and our newest location is Northern Nicaragua 2.
The info below applies to all the retreats, but email for any specifics to the location/dates you choose: $1900 all inclusive package includes ($1800 early bird special if booked 3 months in advance):
- two-way shared airport transfer (if you get a flight that arrives on the first date of the retreat between 11am and 2:20pm and departs on the last day after 11am.)
- 7 nights accommodation in a shared cabana (2-3 per room depending on the size of the room and location)
- 4 deliciously healthy meals per day plus dessert!
- all non-alcoholic beverages (beer, wine, rum extra) – some alcohol will be included
- daily surf lessons with the SWA instructor team plus video analysis of every session
- daily restorative yoga class
- all afternoon activities, which vary by retreat but can include: horseback riding, volcano boarding, ziplining, estuary cruising, chocolate workshop, and other surprises
- all your video clips from the week and at some locations, photos as well.
Typical daily schedule looks like this
- 6:30am wake up for cold buffet breakfast of coffee, juice, cereal, toast, yogurt, fruit
- 7:30-11am surfing, surfing, surfing!
- 11:30am delicious lunch
- 2pm yoga
- 4pm second surf session or other adventure
- 7pm dinner with new friends
A 50% deposit secures your spot. Contact email@example.com for booking info or other questions.
- If you cancel your trip more than 3 months out for any reason, your deposit will be refunded 100%.
- If you cancel more than 2 months out for any reason, your deposit can be transferred to a later retreat.
- The balance for the retreat is due 1 month prior to the start of the retreat. If you cancel within a month, we cannot refund or transfer your payment unless we are able to fill your spot either with a friend that you send us or someone on the waiting list. If you have offered to pay the balance in cash on arrival but cancel within a month, the full payment is still due.
Since last minute injuries, illnesses, work emergencies, or deaths in the family unfortunately do happen, we HIGHLY recommend travel insurance.
I found this website travelinsurancereview.net which gives an overview of travel insurance needs and companies with an option to review quotes from different companies. You have the option to purchase travel medical insurance in the case of getting injured while on the trip – which I think is probably not necessary if you have health insurance at home. The part that I think is really important is Trip Cancellation Coverage.
You may also just click the add on travel insurance policy that most airlines offer when you buy your ticket.
- Fly into Managua International Airport (MGA)
- Taca (via El Salvador), American Airlines (via Miami), Delta (via Atlanta), and Continental (via Houston), United all have reasonable schedules, but Continental occasionally does not allow surfboards so if you plan to bring your own, check to make sure you are allowed.
- To take advantage of the free airport shuttle included in your package, look for flights that arrive into Managua between 11:15am and 2:20pm on the day your retreat starts. Depart on the last day of your retreat anytime after 11am. If you can’t find a flight that works with this schedule we can arrange a private taxi for you for an extra $80. If you need to fly in late at night, you may consider arriving the night before your retreat starts, grabbing a hotel near the airport (there’s a Best Western directly across the street as well as other more affordable options nearby) and meeting up with our shuttle in the morning. If you need to depart super early on the way home (there are flights that leave around 7am), that is possible. You’ll just need to pay for your own private taxi but we will organize it.
- Nicaragua charges a $10 tourist tax that is collected at the airport when you land. They only accept cash so it’s convenient to have a $10 bill on hand when you arrive.
- No vaccinations are needed to travel to Nicaragua. Malaria is not a problem on the Pacific Coast, but protecting yourself from mosquitoes is always a good idea.
- You and the other girls will be met at the airport by our driver holding a “Surf with Amigas” sign. We schedule several shuttles within the arrival time window based on when the most people are arriving. We will send out that shuttle plan the week before your retreat.
- Health insurance coverage is highly recommended. We also highly recommend travel insurance that covers changes to travel plans, cancellations, lost baggage and supplementary health coverage. The one we use is Travel Guard.
We have some of these items for sale in our Suitcase Boutique. Why order online when you can pick out and try on here at the beach? You can browse the super cute bikinis, rash guards, surf leggings, and board shorts for surfing in our shop, or by contacting Jackie –firstname.lastname@example.org.
Things to bring:
- Sun protection: hat, long-sleeve rashguard, surf leggings, lots of sunscreen
- Toiletries – We stay at eco resorts where they do not provide shampoo or soap. Bring everything you will need!
- Bikini that will stay on while surfing (it’s no fun to have to be worried about pulling up your bottoms every time you stand up!)
- Comfortable sandals
- Flashlight or headlamp
- Water bottle: there is a cooler of drinking water available to refill your bottle
- Sturdy closed-toe shoes (tennis shoes, running shoes, hiking boots, etc.) for hiking up the volcano or ziplining. If you are going to the North, also bring some long socks (knee-length is ideal), and a bandana for volcano boarding.
- Beach towel or sarong : It’s not cold and most people end up drip drying so you don’t need a thick towel. You just might want something to sit on at the beach and not get sandy. A lightweight sarong is great for sitting, using as a bikini coverup, etc.
- A pair of jeans for horseback riding (optional – full horseback riding outfit. I had one lady show up with her own pair of chaps, which I thought was awesome!)
- Yoga mat (there are plenty available for use, but if you have your own and can fit it in your bag or carry it on you might want to bring it)
- Yoga wear
- One cute outfit (sundress, skirt, nicer top etc.) for a girls night out dinner.
- Your favorite snack food. All meals are included and you will not go hungry but if you’re addicted to chocolate, or like to snack on trail mix, jerky, cliff bars, etc., bring those things with you!
- Mosquito repellent and/or lightweight long sleeve shirt/pants for dinner time. In the dry season (Nov – April) there are very few mosquitoes, but if you’re the type to get bitten if there’s a single mozzie within range, you want to come prepared. May – October has a few more bugs than earlier in the year but the rooms either have AC or mosquito nets over the beds to keep the bugs from bugging you while you sleep. Regardless of the season, I don’t like coating myself in chemicals so I wear long sleeves and pants to dinner.
- Lightweight waterproof rain jacket (May – October retreats only). The rainy season doesn’t really get serious ’til later August-September but there can be afternoon showers starting in May. The clouds gather, put on a lightening display and cool everything off, often times the wind switches offshore too!
- USB hard drive or memory stick with at least 2GB available! We will get a bunch of video clips of you surfing. A little thumb drive is fine. We use a Mac so if your external hard drive is only compatible with a PC, bring a thumb drive too. Ipods, Iphones, and Ipads usually will not work.
- An adventurous spirit!
- Other optional items:
- warm water surf wax
- good books, recent surf magazines, copies of recent New Yorker magazines. No libraries here. If you just finished something you loved, bring it down and add to our library! Seriously, I end up reading the worst books out of a lack of options. If you read something great, please help me out
- Things you don’t need:
- Blow dyer
- Computer (you can bring it if you want to make it easy to share photos between friends, but it’s not necessary)
- Voltage converter (the plugs are the same as the US)