|North Nica||South Nica||Costa Rica||Central Nica||Panama|
|Months||Jan, Feb, March, May, June, July, Nov, Dec||May, June, July, October||Feb, March, April, Oct, Nov||Oct, Nov||April, May|
|Resort||Eco-friendly||Very comfortable||Jungle comfort||Comfortable||Comfortable|
|Surf||Great for all levels – zero experience to advanced||Best for beginners with some experience to intermediate surfers. Lefts and rights||Best for intermediate and advanced beginners, all lefts||Best for intermediate and advanced beginners, rights and lefts||Best for beginners with some experience to intermediate surfers. Lefts and rights|
|Crowd||Just a few in the water, none on the beach||depends on where we surf. no crowd to very crowded||depends on where we surf. no crowd to very crowded||very uncrowded||very uncrowded|
|Distance to airport||3+ hours||2 hours||1.5 hours||1.5 hours||5.5 hours|
|Yoga space||large concrete floored space with ocean-view||ocean-view wooden floor room with big windows and breezes||open monkey-view wooden platform surrounded by jungle||open ocean-view wooden platform||shaded, breezy space|
|Activities||Horseback riding, dinner out, volcano boarding, cathedral tour, town party, community involvement.||Ziplining, horseback riding, town shopping, hot springs.||Horseback riding, dinner out, town shopping, waterfall exploration, monkey viewing, surf surf surf.||Volcano boarding, tide pools, hike, community involvement.||Surf, surf, surf, horesback riding, out to dinner, SUP tour|
More detailed Location Compare
Northern Nicaragua – This is our home base and most regular retreat location. It features the most rustic accommodations but the most complete package. Retreat months – November, December, January, February, March, May, June, July
The resort features:
- 8 fan-cooled, thatch-roofed cabanas with eco-friendly composting toilets, shared by 2-3 Amigas.
- Amazing healthy and delicious food.
- Elevated ocean view yoga space.
- Ocean view swimming pool.
- High community involvement including an active non-profit that has built homes and schools in the area as well as a sea turtle conservation project.
- Empty pristine beaches almost completely free of other tourists. This is “real” Nicaragua.
- 3+ hours from Managua International Airport
- User-friendly bay with rights and lefts that works best at med-high tides with something for surfers of all abilities. The best spot for learning to stand up for the first time, but also really fun waves for ladies with some experience. A swell magnet that is never flat. Located a 10 minute walk down the beach but with shade and surfboard storage for relaxation between rides and no need to carry your surfboard.
- A rocky left point that works at higher tides if the swell is medium-large. 5 minute walk from the resort.
- At this location we primarily surf one long surf session in the morning when wind conditions are best. We will surf ’til you can’t surf anymore! Some days we will surf multiple sessions depending on conditions and desires of the group.
- Horseback riding on the beach (go ahead and gallop as long as you want!)
- Volcano boarding
- City tour of leon (Cathedrals, shopping, salsa dancing)
- Dinner out
- Engagement with the local community
Central Nicaragua – These retreats are for advanced beginners and intermediate surfers only. You must have already joined us on a retreat or be able to convince us through email that you are capable of paddling yourself out into the lineup and into a wave. We’ll help you improve on those skills and it’s ok if you’ve only ridden whitewash in the past. We just do not want any first-timers at this location.
Retreat months – October and November
- 4 rooms with Air Conditioning and ensuite bathrooms shared by 3 Amigas
- Good local-style food
- Very relaxing hammock zone with view of the waves out front
- 90 min from Managua International Airport
- Very hidden and uncrowded location with limited tourism development
- Small yoga space
- A user-friendly beach break with lefts and rights, good at high tides, directly out front. Waves for ladies of all abilities.
- A user-friendly left point (works on bigger swells only) best at high tide a short walk down the beach and visible from the resort.
- A punchy challenging beach break a short walk down the beach the other way, just out of sight of the resort. This is the spot for learning to tube ride!
- We will surf several surf sessions per day until you can’t surf any more!
Other Activities –
- Volcano boarding
- Leon city tour
- Community involvement
Southern Nicaragua – These retreats are open to all levels of surfer, but we prefer guests who have had some prior surfing experience or are confident swimmers. There is a decent place to learn to ride your very first wave, but it is a bit of a drive away. The wave in front of the resort is best for ladies who have already stood up in whitewash and are ready to try or perfect their green wave riding.
Retreat months – May, June, July, October
- Surf-view Apartments with Air Conditioning, ensuite bathroom, kitchenette, and balcony over-looking the break shared by 2-3 Amigas.
- Excellent healthy and delicious food.
- A surf view pool.
- High speed WiFi
- Restaurant/bar open to the public for mingling with other travelers
- In the more popular and developed region of Nicaragua
- 2+ hours from Managua International Airport
- A soft user friendly left just below the resort that gets super fun if there’s some swell and is typically very uncrowded (usually just us). There are some rocks on the very inside so reef booties are recommended for anyone nervous about rocks underfoot.
- A thumpier short beach break just below the resort on the other side. It can be really fun if the sand is good and the swell is smaller.
- Nicaragua’s most famous wave, Popoyo is a short walk away but visible from the resort. It can be very crowded but we do dawn patrols with intermediate Amigas to avoid the crowd. It’s a really good wave with lefts and rights.
- We will surf several surf sessions per day depending on swell and tide.
- Horseback riding on the beach
- Dinner out
- Hot springs
- Shopping in San Juan Del Sur
Costa Rica – These retreats are for advanced beginners and intermediate surfers only. You must have already joined us on a retreat or be able to convince us through email that you are capable of paddling yourself out into the lineup and into a wave. In some cases we will accept ladies with less experience though, so message us to discuss your situation. We’ll help you improve on those skills and it’s ok if you’ve only ridden whitewash in the past. We just prefer not to have any first-timers at this location.
Retreat months – February, March, April, October, November
- 4 rooms with private bathrooms shared by 2-4 Amigas
- Delicious food served family-style
- Wooden jungle-surrounded yoga platform
- Shady chill out monkey-view platform
- 1.5 hours from Golfito national airport (must get short flight from San Jose International airport or 5+ hour drive)
- Really fun user-friendly break with lefts and rights directly in front of the resort with a steep takeoff for advanced surfers and gentle shoulder takeoff for long boarders or ladies with less experience. Long rides. Very uncrowded. Best at medium – high tides.
- Another long left with some short rights located a short way down the beach that works at low tides. The most uncrowded. We will mostly surf alone!
- If swell is larger we’ll drive to surf some very good long lefts that can be more crowded but are protected from the swell. Boat trips are also an option to surf a good right if conditions are appropriate.
- We will surf all day
- Amazing horseback ride on the beach and into the jungle
- Jungle hikes and waterfall dipping
- Chocolate workshop
- Monkey and other wildlife (toucans, sloths) viewing
- Shopping in town
- Dinner out
Panama: These retreats are for advanced beginners and intermediate surfers only. You must have already joined us on a retreat or be able to convince us through email that you are capable of paddling yourself out into the lineup and into a wave. We’ll help you improve on those skills but we don’t want anyone who has only ridden whitewash.
Retreat months – April/May
- Beachfront with views of the wave
- Delicious food served
- ocean view space for yoga
- 5+ hours from Panama City International airport (must fly in the night before retreat to take luxury shuttle ride the morning of retreat start date)
- Big beach with something for everyone. Peaks up and down the big stretch of beach with lefts and rights. One end of beach gets bigger and heavier, and one end gets smaller and cuter.
- A couple other spots within driving distance
- Surf, surf, surf.
- Horseback riding
- Other adventures TBD